January 26, 2012

Biblical Libyans, Caesar

Well, I thought it was time for something a bit more fresh. Not completely fresh, as in brand new paint jobs, but something that i had done within the last 5 years at least. Also I was afraid that this was becoming very much a HaT blog, which it is by far going to be. So I let my brand new camera snap a few pictures of my Biblical Libyan Army.

First here is a picture of the entire army, lined up ready for battle.


That is 7 units, or what amounts to 2 sets of Caesars Biblical Era Libyan Warriors. I decided to paint them up like is shown in Osprey´s Ancient Armies of the Middle East, and Osprey´s Armies of the Pharaohs. Or at least i used those pictures for inspiration, along with the box cover.

First off we have two units of Bowmen:

I decided that it would be easy for these Libyans to obtain red dye, as well as yellow dye, but that their main clothing would be skins, or leather. So most of the units are are painted in red or brown colors.

Next up some warriors with swords, that have capes:

The feathers are supposed to be ostrich feathers. With alittle imagination I hope they look like it.

Then we have some warriors with spears. 
Curiously, the set only provides one pose of these. 

All weapons i assumed were bronze so they have been painted accordingly. As one of the Osprey books dryly remarks, attire was kind of minimal. The next warriors are completely naked, save for the leather phallic sheath. 

In the last picture, you will note that one of the figures has a cape. This is my general, or tribal king, if you fancy that word better. I have made a solo picture of him here:
As can probably be seen: I am not a great painter, when it comes to small details. I am more of a paint-up-a-unit-a-day kind of guy. Though I would like to think that I am better than the tribal king here shows. But then again, this was some time ago. So perhaps I have become a better painter since then. One can only hope.

~Claus

6 comments:

  1. Very nice blog with good painted ancient figures.

    Thanks for following my blog!

    PS: make yourself an avatar ;-)

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avatar made! :)

      Thanks for your kind remarks. And for following my blog :)

      Delete
    2. Do you game with your models or are they for display only?

      Delete
    3. I try to game with them too. Though in recent years, it has been more painting than displaying and gaming.

      Delete
  2. Nice avatar!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete